So…. you want to date my kid?
Ugh – It’s here and my kid has a sweet little girlfriend but I’ll be honest… the conversation about how this was going to happen was a fun one. I have rules… I should say we have rules. We have rules in this house and dating was not going to be any different. We sat him down… our oldest… and his sweet daddy started with the basics. Respect and kindness and…. in true me fashion… I jumped right in and interrupted, all loud and proud on my rules. My rules that really is only one rule…..
#1 – If you choose to date my child, or even be a friend of my kid… you become part of my world. And if you become part of my world… I will do the following:
- Expect you to greet me when you see me
- Ask you questions about your life
- Chat with you if you call my home
- Stalk you on social media (and I am good at it)
- Meet your parents
- Drill you about your grades
- Show disappointment if your grades are not were they should be
- Offer help if you need it
- Quiz you about your plans for after high school
- Hug you
- Feed you
- Drive you places
- Call you out if I think you are acting like an ass
- Make certain you have good manners
- Take you places that might expand your view of the world
- Discuss any topic with you… if appropriate (or encourage you to discuss it with your parents)
- Track you down if I think you are lying to me
- Assume if you’re at my home, you will put your dirty dishes in the dish washer
- Retain the right to add to this list any time I choose
Why? Because I believe with my whole heart that the children of our world need many adults in their lives. Adults who care and love them. Adults who have expectations for not only their personal children but expectations for all children. I believe that kids live up to said expectations. I also believe that I don’t want to choose my children’s friends or sweethearts. I believe they should choose them… but I will be part of that person’s life. I will become a mentor, a coach, a friend, a second mom or a pain in their butt.
Because if you are going to spend time with my child. I want to be assured that you have someone who has high expectations for you and if I am the only one to do that… so be it. However, if I am the twentieth person to do that…. even better.
I believe in kids…. their excitement for life, their lack of fear and their undefined potential.
So…. you want to date my kid? Allow me to introduce myself…..