Will you just help me get started?
Do you ever think to yourself… If someone could just get me started.
Like if my sister would come over and just clean my bathrooms I could get busy and get the rest of this house into shape.
Or, I would love to become a runner if someone would just get me started…. but the only reason I have ever done any running in my life was because an over opinionated miniature pincher was chasing me and I was terrified that I would be eaten alive by the 6 pound monster.
Or you wanted to knit everyone in your family a beautiful scarf for Christmas, even though they would only be able to wear them one week out of the year because we live in Florida. But if someone would just get me started I could accomplish those beautiful handmade gifts and so many of my other goals.
It’s that motion law… you know the one.
A body in motion stays in motion, A body at rest stays at rest.
So if someone would just get me started science dictates that I would continue.
I could become the world’s greatest designer, photographer or chief… if someone would just get me started. You know the latter is not going to happen… I once substituted vinegar with balsamic vinegar. Evidently they are very different flavors… who knows that?! They both contain the name vinegar. Long story short, one child lied that the food was good (favorite child) while the other spit it out and vigorously wiped his tongue to remove the taste of my masterpiece from his memory forever (not the favorite child).
I sometimes look at a white screen and think, if someone could just help get me started. Push me! Put this body in motion and it will stay in motion. PUSH ME!
But if you push… then very often you will learn the second meaning of getting me and every other women on earth started.
It will go from “Will you just help me get started?” to “DON’T get me started.”
Ever realized that your wants and needs are so contradictory. My thoughts within one day can range from one end of the spectrum to the other.
- I love my work… I can’t wait to become the employee of the month at Target.
- I want it ALL… I want just what I need.
- I dream of making a dent in the world… I just want to live a simple life.
Contradictions! Body in Motion vs. Body at rest.
- I don’t want to have Sunday night anxiety.
- I don’t want to be embarrassed when a neighbor stops by my house because my house is a disaster.
- I don’t want my life to fly by me and I miss it.
- I don’t want to forget who I am.
- I don’t want to always be the one talking, I want to learn to listen.
- I don’t want to forget that I am beautiful and I don’t want to stop making an effort…. for me!
- I don’t want to go to sleep at night feeling unloved because I was not brave enough to voice my needs.
- I don’t want to tell people off (even though I’m pretty good at it) just because I can.
- I don’t want to settle for something that is less than what I deserve.
- I don’t want my children to grow up and not have manners, social skills and charm.
- I don’t want my life to not touch the lives of those I meet daily, touch the lives of those I call friends, and touch the lives of those I love.
Once we know what we don’t want, we can begin to deeply understand what we do want. Who we want to be, how we want to love, why our wants and needs sometimes flip flop.
Understanding and loving ourselves becomes easier. The song of our spirit becomes louder… the trueness of who we were meant to be becomes clearer. (check out these tips to getting started from the artofliving.org to quieting yourself through meditation.)
There is no script for this life that you are living… No one can get you started…. ONLY YOU! Only you can do that.
There is no timeline for this life the you are living… you can start a new career, have a baby when your youngest is nine (BTW – I’m not pregnant), start anew at 50.
There are no boxes that you must fit into for this life that you are living… you are free! You are free to be you. FREE TO BE YOU!
You are free to be a Body in Motion…
You are free to be a Body at Rest…
You are free to be a contradiction…
You are free to be the YOU, you were meant to be.
So what’s stopping you? What’s keeping you from JUST GETTING STARTED?